Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lórien's Dream


You wake to find yourself in a huge castle. Surrounded by stairways above an open space. You have an unquenchable thirst to find something, but don't know what it is. After what seems like hours, you stumble upon a small study. Arcane tomes and scrolls litter the surface of every table and shelf in the room. In the corner, by a lit fire, sits a dark and hooded figure.

“I never thought you would find me, I don't have enough power in this realm to stay for long, so don't waste my time.” Growls the dark voice. “Stop trying to convert those idiots you come across, they aren't worth it. No evil beast will ally with a neutral wizard who couldn't outright kill it in single combat.”

“I need you to gain power! You are worthless to me dead. The only way for me to gain my godhood back is for you to kill another god, so I can assume his position on this plane of existence, then I can devour the other gods and tear a rift back.”

“Dablak, god of the Earth or Melmalan, god of the Water are the weakest gods of this realm. You are no match for them now, but you are my host. We make due with the tools we are given. In time, you will gain enough power though. You will kill one of them! I foresee it as your destiny”

“I have another servant. He is useless to you there, but he has an item. A small but powerful weapon. It will give you the power to kill a god. I will see to it that it is in your hands when you need it. I have one more 'gift' that I may be able to send before that. We will see how you perform in your duties.“

“I believe you remember Mordred, my other servant, … It is his dagger, christened with your blood in the presence of my eye that allowed me to find and contact you. Do not lose it. When you awake, you will have knowledge of a curse. Perform the ritual on that dagger. While cursed, it will always be by your side.”

“Just sending this message used a great deal of my power. You will not hear from me until you gain some concordance, and my foothold grows.”

As you awake, you realize that Iban's mind was slightly open to you as well, but he was unaware of it. You got a flash of insight when he mentioned the 'gift'. Iban needs three items related to him in your possession to triangulate your location and gain a stronger foothold in your mind. He was trying to hide that fact.

You also have the knowledge of how to curse Mordred's dagger. It will take 500 gp worth of residium, and make it a +1 item. You know that cursing it will make it impossible to throw away. It will instantly return to your hand if thrown, making it useless as a thrown weapon. You will also have to draw blood and kill something with it each and every day or lose 1 point of Constitution. Such is the curse of Iban.  Cursing your dagger will increase concordance by +1, and using the foul sight granted by the powers of unlife, you can determine the condition of creatures near death within the dagger’s range. You instantly know whether each creature within 50 feet is dead, fragile (alive and wounded, with 3 or fewer hit points left), bloodied (alive with 4-1/2 total HP), undead, or neither alive nor dead (such as a construct).  At level 11, this curse allows Unholy Degeneration for the wielder.  The wielder takes 1 point or permanent Str loss and gains 1 point to Int.

No comments:

Post a Comment